Happy 2017 and welcome back to the program – We hope you enjoyed a wonderful holiday break, spending time with family and friends.
During this time of year, we are nearing the middle phases of our Inquiry Cycle. Candidates are seeking professional development opportunities to research best practices in support of their inquiry questions. Our next meeting will provide information on how to move from research to action, and document progress in the Individualized Learning Plan.
We look forward to seeing all of you in a few weeks!
CUE is an organization that supports teachers and learning with a focus on integrating meaningful technology use in the classroom (and beyond). Right now, CUE is offering a one-year membership to all new teachers participating in the Teacher Induction Program AND the Support Providers. This is a win-win deal! Join CUE for FREE (no strings attached) and receive all the benefits of membership (CUE online, OnCUE+ magazine, discounted registration at CUE events, membership into Learning networks, etc). The Santa Barbara CUE affiliate is working to rebuild a robust local network of collaborative teachers and now is the perfect time to join! Go to cue.org/join and enter the promo code for your free membership. (Email Teacher Induction for the promo code – we cannot post it.) Also, they are in the planning stages of 2 events to take place during the spring (one in North County and one in South County) for you to determine that this is the right group for you!
Free year membership offer expires Dec 31, 2016.
The TIP Team wishes each of you all the very best for a wonderful holiday this week – we truly are thankful for all you do!
With all initial data point collection and reflection behind us, it’s now time to form and refine your Inquiry Question. Keep in mind an area of particular interest and/or need as you pose a question to pursue in the coming months. Use the CTP Booklet descriptors (Program Guide, Tab 3) for your selected CSTP. Use the blue pages for sample inquiry questions or some that may serve as a springboard to your own question.
ILP Part 2 Due Dates:
Year 1 Candidates – On or before Sunday, November 13
Year 2 Candidates – On or before Sunday, November 20
IF YOU ANSWER YES TO ANY OF THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS, you may want to register now for these upcoming sessions:
1. Do you hunger for more information as to why some of your students behave the way they do? Would it help to be able to identify the Antecedent (predictor) to particular Behaviors and have a better influence on the Consequences? Come learn the A-B-Cs of Behavior Management at TIP 504, scheduled for Wednesday, November 30th in Buellton.
2. Do you have students adding English as a language? Do you have students on IEPs through Special Ed? Do you ever wonder about the relationships between the two? If you’d like to be able to distinguish between typical academic struggle as language is acquired and struggle in those with a possible disability, this class is a MUST. Dr. Jarice Butterfield is a statewide expert on the subject and will lead the session with lots of time for your questions on Wednesday, December 7th in Buellton.
3. Do you want more tech ideas? Are you looking for additional ways to use technology at both the student and teacher levels? The Ed Tech Exploratorium will be held in both Santa Maria (Dec 13) and Santa Barbara (Dec 15) and offers an “Ed Camp” style session with TONS of examples and take away resources to explore and put into practice. Don’t miss out on the chance to learn with others and leave with an amazing digital binder full of new tools!
Time is running out! Email email@example.com by Monday, November 7 to register.
Please remember next week’s TIP meeting, for all Year 2 Candidates and their Mentors. Select the date/location that best suits you, keeping in mind that you attend together. Your attendance is mandatory, so please let us know if you will need to come to a location other than your usual.
- Monday, October 24th - Cabrillo High School Cafeteria in Lompoc’s Vandenberg Village
- Tuesday, October 25th - Righetti High School Cafeteria in Santa Maria
- Thursday, October 27th - SBCEO Auditorium in Santa Barbara
Sessions begin promptly at 4:15pm, but there is a staggered end time, with candidates leaving at 6pm and mentors leaving at 7pm.
We look forward to seeing you next week!
The following assignments are due no later than Sunday, October 30, at 11:59 pm.
- Initial Data Points
- ILP Part 1: Framing Your Inquiry
- September-October Collaborative Record
- Fall Mentor Observation
Please remember to upload your assignments into the NEO online classroom.
Dear Year 1 Participants,
Please remember next week’s TIP meeting, for all Year 1 Candidates and their Mentors. Select the date/location that best suits you, keeping in mind that you attend together. Your attendance is mandatory, so please let us know if you will need to come to a location other than your usual.
- Monday, October 17th - Cabrillo High School Cafeteria in Lompoc’s Vandenberg Village
- Tuesday, October 18th - Righetti High School Cafeteria in Santa Maria
- Thursday, October 20th - SBCEO Auditorium in Santa Barbara
Sessions begin promptly at 4:15pm, but there is a staggered end time, with candidates leaving at 6pm and mentors leaving at 7pm. Given the time of day, we will have light refreshments (sandwiches, fruit/veggies, snack foods, etc.) and water available. Of course, you are more than welcome to bring your own food and/or drink as well.
We look forward to seeing you there!
The Initial CSTP Self-Ratings assignment is due no later than Sunday, October 16, at 11:59 pm.
Please remember to upload your assignment into the NEO online classroom.
We’d like to invite all of our Teacher Induction Program participants to the 4th Annual A Salute to Teachers. Presented by Cox Communications and the Santa Barbara County Education Office, A Salute to Teachers is the premiere teacher recognition event held in honor of teachers countywide. The black-tie optional gala event will be held on November 5, 2016 at the Lobero Theatre in Santa Barbara. Tickets are required, but they are free! Click HERE to register. Please RSVP by October 14.